Cambridge School Page Title

    Local Offer

    Cambridge School Content Area

    1. Who are the best people to talk to at Cambridge School about my child’s difficulties with learning, special educational needs (SEN) or disability?

    • Firstly we would advise you to talk to your child’s form teacher about your concerns or at your child’s Annual Review because they are the professional who spends most of their time working with your child daily and are in a better position to discuss your concerns.
    • If you feel your concerns are still not being addressed, then please arrange to discuss these with a member of SLT


    2. How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning, special educational needs or disability?

    • Your child's form teacher may initially call you to discuss any concerns or to arrange a meeting.
    • It may be discussed at your child’s Annual Review. The form/subject teacher may also talk to you about any issues at parents’ evening.
    • A teacher or member of the senior leadership team may request a meeting to discuss your child's difficulties with learning and any possible support strategies the school might be considering.


    3. How will the school consider my views and those of my child with regard to her/his difficulties with learning, special educational needs or disabilities?

    • Your child, on entry to Cambridge, will have an EHC plan.  The school welcomes and values parent’s views and expects them to be involved in supporting their child’s learning.
    • You and your child will be able to share your views formally and informally at annual reviews, parent/teacher meetings or arranged meetings.


    4. How does Cambridge School ensure the teaching staff are appropriately trained to support my child’s special educational needs and/or disability?   
    All of our staff are highly trained in supporting children with SEN/disabilities.

    • We offer targeted support where required.
    • We regularly receive training from various support agency partnerships.
    • We actively encourage all staff to attend external training.
    • We provide a regular training programme through INSET and staff meetings.


    5. How will the curriculum and the school environment be matched to my child’s needs?

    • Please click here to refer to our curriculum page on the school website.


    6. What types of support may be suitable and available for my child?

    This really depends upon the nature of your child’s needs and difficulties with learning.

    However, our education provisions will match the needs of the four broad areas of need as defined in the SEN Code of Practice 2014:

    • Communication and interaction
    • Cognition and Learning
    • Social, emotional and mental healthy
    • Sensory and/or physical needs


    At Cambridge School we have a 4 tiered approach to supporting a child’s learning.

    Universal – this is the teaching your child will receive from our transition/subject teachers and will include adaptations to match learning needs.

    All classes:

    • Are supported by a teaching assistant (TA).
    • Have a maximum of 12 pupils per class to ensure there is a high level of support available from the teacher/TA.
    • Are SLCN friendly
    • Are supported either directly or indirectly by speech and language therapists.


    Targeted­ – it may be appropriate to consider making additional short term special educational provision to remove or reduce any obstacles to your child’s learning.

    This takes the form of a graduated four part approach of:

    • assessing your child’s needs
    • planning the most effective and appropriate intervention
    • providing this intervention
    • reviewing the impact on your child’s progress towards individual learning outcomes.


    Interventions may include:

    Specific targeted numeracy/literacy small group interventions run outside the classroom, these will be limited to a number a weeks to minimise disruption to the regular curriculum.

    • One to one literacy/reading support
    • One to one reading intervention
    • One to one/small group sensory support/circuits etc.


    Specialist – it may be necessary to seek specialist advice and regular long term support from a specialist professional in order to plan for the best possible learning outcomes for your child.

    • This may include educational psychology, speech and language therapy, occupational therapy, art/play therapy, sensory advisory teachers and the child development service.
    • The school may need to prioritise referrals to these services. However, for a high proportion of Cambridge School pupils, access to these specialists is automatic due to specification in your child’s EHC Plan.


    7. How will you support my child to reach his/her learning outcomes?

    • Teachers and other staff working with your child ensure that your child receives appropriate teaching and support in order to reach these goals.
    • Targets, strategies and progress will be reviewed termly.
    • External agencies and specialists may also review your child’s progress and adapt their planning accordingly.

    8. What is an EHC Plan and who can request one for my child?

    • Pupils at Cambridge School all have an EHC Plan which are reviewed on an annual basis.
    • Should the needs of a particular child change significantly we will hold an Emergency Annual Review.


    9. How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

    • You are welcome to contact your child’s tutor or subject teacher to ask for advice.
    • You may have the opportunity to meet with other professionals involved in supporting your child.
    • Parent workshops


    10. How is support allocated to children and how do they move between the different levels of support in school?

    • Support is allocated based on observed need and details in the child’s EHC Plan.                    
    • The senior leadership team discuss the effectiveness of the school’s current interventions and provisions and prioritise an action plan, which may include additional or alternative interventions, staff training and equipment needs.
    • This process is reviewed regularly to ensure the best possible intervention is provided to those children who require additional support to learn.


    11. How will the school know that the support has made a difference to my child’s learning and how can I and my child be included in this review process?

    • Please refer to the assessment section of our website for further information on this


    12. What support will there be for my child’s happiness and wellbeing at Cambridge School?

    • At Cambridge School we believe that the wellbeing of all our pupils is paramount. All members of staff take this aspect of school life very seriously. You can be confident that your child’s teacher, the teaching assistants, and the senior management team are available to provide support to match your child’s needs.
    • Pupil voice is important to us, therefore, we regularly make changes due to requests from the school council and pupil questionnaires. You should also feel free to contact your child’s tutor if you have any concerns.


    13. How is my child included in all the same activities as his/her peers at school?

    • At Cambridge School we are committed to providing equal opportunities for all children. School clubs, educational visits and residential trips are available to all children. When necessary the school will make reasonable adjustments to ensure that children with SEN and/or disabilities are included in all activities. You should also feel free to contact your child’s tutor if you have any concerns.


    14. How will Cambridge School support my child in transition stages?

    • We will participate and/ or facilitate EHC plan reviews in sufficient time prior to him/her moving between key phases of education. You will be kept informed of these arrangements and asked to attend the reviews. From Year 9 all EHC Plan reviews will have a focus on preparing for adulthood, including employment, independent living and participation in society. Please contact the deputy Head-teacher within school for further details or speak to your child’s form tutor.


    15. Who can I contact if I have a complaint about the SEN provision made for my child?

    • Initially speak with your child’s tutor. If you require further support you should contact the deputy head or Head-teacher, who may direct you to your child’s local authority (LA) key worker.


    16. If I have any other questions about my child at Cambridge School, who can I ask?

    • We are very happy to speak to you about any aspects of your child’s education.


     It is best to speak to one of the following in this order:

    • The Form/Subject Teacher
    • Team Leader
    • The Deputy Head
    • The Head-teacher
    • The Chair of Governors

    Cambridge School Featured Content Quote

    In This Section

    Cambridge School Aside Image

    Cambridge School Buttons